What Does It Take To Be A Successful Acupuncturist & Oriental Medicine Practitioner?
When our students graduate they are fully trained to be everything a successful Acupuncturist needs to be;
1. Demonstrate the knowledge and the ability to collect necessary data from patients through observation, olfactory and aural examination, palpation, pulse diagnosis, physical examination, and inquiry.
2. Demonstrate the knowledge and the ability to formulate a diagnosis according to Traditional Oriental Medical theories that is based upon the classification of data collected.
3. Demonstrate the ability to determine a treatment strategy based upon the formulated diagnosis.
4. Demonstrate the knowledge and the ability to apply appropriate techniques, including the use of needles, moxibustion, herbal prescription, dietary recommendations, Oriental body work, and counseling to implement the chosen treatment strategy.
5. Demonstrate the knowledge and the ability to assess the effectiveness of the treatment strategy and its execution, and to modify the treatment strategy if needed.
6. Demonstrate the ability to interact effectively with their patients, assisting the patient to address the roots of illness and help bring about healing beyond symptom management.
7. Demonstrate the knowledge and the ability to adhere to professional standards of conduct.
8. Demonstrate the ability to operate and direct all practical aspects of a clinic. This would include functioning and management of the herbal pharmacy, medical records keeping, reception room etiquette, and sound accounting practices.
9. Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively to the public and with providers of various modes of Western health care and to make medical referrals when appropriate.
10. Demonstrate proficiency on local and national competency examinations.
11. Demonstrate an ability to assess needs and provide appropriate services to the community.
ALOHA. E Komo Mai (welcome in Hawaiian).
If you're interested in learning more about Chinese medicine and how you can launch a rewarding career as an Acupuncturist, fill out the form below. You'll receive insightful health and career information by email right away.
A knowledgeable HICOM Admissions Advisor will be in touch to answer any questions you may have about our unique program in Hawaii. Your advisor will help you explore if an education through HICOM is the right path for you.
Mahalo Nui Loa.